Thread Rating:
  • 16 Vote(s) - 3.13 Average
Computer question ( not game related)
Well when I bought the computer from best buy it says that it's expandable up to 16gb of ram, and I have been using 10 gb of ram since I bought it, 2x 4gb and 1x 2gb...the GeForce experience then reads 10gb of ram with 9.80 usable, but the thing is I bought a new set of 2x4gb to replace the 2gb one. The new ones are the same latency and speed and same size as in ddr3 pc3 1600mhz 1.5v. Only difference is the brand, the old ones are ramaxel and the new one are corsairs... I might just go ahead and get another 2x4gb from corsairs and see if it reads the full 16 that way.
Make sure it's not Quad channel or something?
my IOS is windows 8, 64 bits... also, i believe is dual channel, 2 black, 2 blue if that's what you mean ace ( the slots on my motherboard).... anyhow. i bought another set of 2x4gb and i couldn't get that shit to work lol. i spent 4 hours messing around with each ram slot and the 7 different sticks of ram that i have, and almost no matter which order they were in, i couldn't get it to read properly. and found my original graphic card that allowed me to use my bios... the bios didn't help me for shit lol either...i tried so many things. i turned off the fast boot thing and nothing...messed around with many different settings and all i got was a headache. at one point i thought i broke everything, every ram slot kept beeping, no display showing, blue screen of death, some random ass pfn_list_corrupt error, when i did get some display my comp said it couldn't run and needed to recover to a point to when it was working, and a whole bunch of freezes every time i tried loading pass the bios lol.

but again anyhow, idk how but i think based god Jesus Christ sent me a miracle and somehow i got everything to work with 2x4gb of the corsairs, and my old 2x4gb. it now reads 15.8gb out of 16. my computer beeps an error code of 6 beeps when ever i restart it , but YOLO, i'm afraid to even open it back up to fix that ( i looked it up and it seems i need to enable legacy or something in my bios, which im not going to do). as long as everything works, i'm fine with it beeping lol, i barely turn it off anyhow.

and on top of that, now i have that extra 8gb of corsair ram. i guess ill go trade it in for a razer black widow keyboard or something... but i really appreciate you guys trying to help, specially knowing that these forums are not made to solve problem like this one. thanks again.