Thread Rating:
  • 9 Vote(s) - 2.56 Average
2015: New Year Content Wishlist
I was speaking more to quest and duty profiles. right now fresh install gives ak_blank and wp_bosses.

This post wasn't an attack, please don't take it that way.
(01-03-2015, 12:00 AM)onplanetmars Wrote:  I was speaking more to quest and duty profiles. right now fresh install gives ak_blank and wp_bosses.

This post wasn't an attack, please don't take it that way.

I guess they should add my profiles for prepackage.
There will be news on the questing front soon.
(01-02-2015, 11:06 PM)Ace Wrote:  
(01-01-2015, 09:03 PM)onplanetmars Wrote:  I want to start off by saying that I started using the bot this past August and I think its safe to say that while the learning curve and navigating the forums for information was a challenge at the start, the greatest problem with the bot is that, for what it costs it provides no pre-packaged content.

No pre-packaged content? Are you serious? Meshes, grind locations, gathering locations, fishing locations, default skill profiles for all classes, PVP/Grind/Gather/Questing/Crafting/Duty/Party logics. You do understand that these are all content right? You understand that thousands of hours go into the logic behind all the bases, including the profile building layouts/GUI editor to make it simple, etc.

By far, this is one of the most ridiculous complaints I've ever seen. We go far above what we have to do, and what any other bot does. Most other bots give you 0 content, you pay for the API, and any logic is written by the community, including meshes, modes, plugins, and everything else.

As for someone who mainly got MMOminion for the crafting/gathering portion, it certainly can't be denied that it is lacking in that department. Now without Sebbs craft profiles, crafting will be barebones. The bot doesn't come prepacked with unspoiled nodes locations/markers, which is one of the best money makers right now.

And am I the only one thinking how wrong it is to encrypt skill profiles? What if I want to modify a particular encrypted skillprofile and share it with friends? how am I going to accomplish that? This whole idea of locking everything down is sad. We already pay monthly, so we're gonna be asked to "donate" even more to get all the extra bells and whistles the bot has to offer?

No offense to content contributors, but asking for donations for me is the exact same as just asking for money directly. Making content for free at first then suddenly pulling out and hiding behind a veil of "motivation" and "donations" is just an ass move. I find it contradictory that it is against the rules to make direct "WTS skillprofiles/meshes/etc", but as soon as you want donations it's suddenly okay? I thought the point of that rule in the first place was to promote an environment of contribution and sharing?

I mean either way I don't really care, since I've learned a lot about the bot and I can make my own profiles/meshes and whatever. I just think this is a bad path to take and it'll just make people try to take advantage of the community and promote an atmosphere of greed. I know that because I'm greedy/selfish myself so I understand that perspective.
First, Sebbs relisted his profiles.

You have a valid argument about how mods immediately close wts threads, yet that is essentially what we are going to with encrypted profiles. I definitely think some of the user content is worth paying for. The real question is why doesn't minion pay them? They are vastly improving the marketability and value of their product and they are doing it for free. By requiring new users to buy the bot, then purchase profiles that are essential for operation, they are only discouraging new users.

That being said, I would be hard pressed to call a profile essential. If someone wants to release a profile that will quest 1-50, doing all side quests, etc, that would be something that would hold value for me. I might pay a little extra. I doubt anyone is trying to make a living off writing profiles. That being said throwing them some beer money, or helping to cover their botting costs isnt really asking a whole lot. If people would be more willing to donate a little bit, these things wouldn't be happening.

Anyway, I tend to agree that it is in bad taste to ask for donations. Kinda reminds me of those fuckwad salvation army people around the holidays.
First thing, I think everyone is assuming that just because profiles are going to be encrypted, they are going to be sold. I don't think anyone has specifically come out and said that. To me, that is going hand in hand with wanting to reward contributors.

Lets say, as an example, that if the devs deem a contribution solid enough, they give that person a free month of the bot. You would want that file encrypted so that others dont just copy/paste the code into a new profile, change one or two things, and then try to do the same. That is how I am taking the announcement, and how other bots (XI bots come to mind) have done a few things in the past.

Now, it sucks if you learn by looking at other's code, sure. But I don't think it means that everything will suddenly be encrypted either.

Now, maybe i' wrong and all new profiles will cost $.99 cents per person. So what? There is a ton of code and samples out there already that people can reference and learn from already. Some massive quest duty that can do main story all the way to shiva from lvl 1 is most definitely worth my dollar. The time savings are huge and worth it.

It's just silly to jump to conclusions until the program is implemented. If you are really that paranoid, download every single script/profile that is available now as a precaution/learning tool.

ps.
As I am typing this, I am babysitting 3 mules through the main story quests using Latty's beta quest profiles. The amount of time this has saved me just in the last 2 days is more than worth a contribution. No idea if this will be released with questiong 2.0 or sold/protected, that's entirely up to Latty, but this type of script is definitely worthy of a contribution, especially due to it's complexity.
A dollar is certainly worth it. A quick look at the honorbuddy site will show that people are charging twenty or more for premium plugins. You are right, though, it is all speculation. Personally, I'm not worried. The existing profiles more than get the job done. When I am ready to start making my own for reputation grinds, etc.... then I will do that. Playing with the bot is half the fun! At least for users like me who arent trying to sell gil or accounts. Hell, I had two gold capped wow accounts I never bothered to offload lol.

Oh, on the topic of the wishlist, I would absolutely love leves to be worked out somehow.
my whishlist would be simply to take a new look on profiles for DOW/DOM jobs, and try to make a category for each kind of content, like one for endgame with high-DPS / healing .... , one for leveling, ect ....

i know some one those already exists , but i think it would be a good thing to pack 'em by category.
for instance, im going on T8 , i select my end-game high-dps profile, i'm going to do LCoA gil farm , i select my farm profile, ect ...

i'm whishing this because mostly, some profiles are really nice to uses, but some jobs are sadly deserted , especially for endgame ( im thinking at war or brd).
Here is the stance on user made content. It cannot be strickly sold. Minion cannot be held responsable for scams(this has happend in the past and is bad for community) On the flip side content creators should be compensated for their work especially people that do quest profiles duty profiles. Right now there is no way to compensate someone for releasing something because they cannot keep it secure. So The devs are working on a way to encrypt their work so it cant be shared. This could lead to many different scenarios. A) users purchase from a"store" the content they want. B)minion compensates creators with keys, C) Developers of content are paid $. Not saying any of these are or will happen but these are suggestions that "could" happen. People feel if they work hard on soemthing they deserve to be compensated in some way for it. Sebbs figured with the release of all the work he was putting out for free that at least 5% of the people would donate something. Which would of been acceptable. But 2 people donated, so he pulled his work, which is his right to do. So enough of the matter.

Forum rules: NO WTB/WTS, no posting stuff that is "Purchase only" you can ask for donations for your time, but must post the work untill some form of addon store or encryption can take place.
Skill Profiles, Quest Profiles, Duty Profiles, and any other profile content we design in the future will be available for release as both a private, sold option and as free forum releases. It will be up to the developer if they wish to go through the stringent application process necessary to sell addons through our encrypted streaming system and storefront. There are no plans to restrict profiles of any type to only encrypted, private deployment. It is simply a monetary incentive for high quality developers to sell and maintain their work for direct profit rather than donations. We have too much backend work to do to create the amount of profile content requested by all of our customers, that's why we create flexible profile systems that allow users to build their own. We can't pay motivated content providers directly for their work since we have no way of knowing exactly how much it contributes to our sales, therefore allowing them to sell their work directly is an option that benefits everyone. We will continue to provide basic profile content and if we decide that private addon code or profile content is important enough that it should be available for free then we will work out a deal to purchase it from the private developer.